Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates for Windows 10 with bug fixes and security enhancements to address vulnerabilities created by third-party applications. And with Windows 10, Microsoft makes it mandatory to automatically download and install the latest updates when you connect your device to a Microsoft server. Users can also manually check and install the latest Windows updates via Settings, Updates and Security, and check for updates. But some users report that Windows 10 update KB4592438 crashes when checking for updates, Windows update crashes in a certain percentage from 0% to 99% or even 100% when downloading and installing. For some other users, the installation of Windows Update fails with several errors 0070002, 0070003, or 0xc1900403, etc.
Why isn’t Windows Update loading?
There are several reasons why Windows Update may be blocked or cannot be installed, such as B. Internet connection problems, security software blocking, corrupted system files, lack of space on the system disk for downloading and installing Windows updates, etc. And the most common are damaged Windows Update components (the distribution folder of the software where Windows temporarily downloads updates before they are installed). If the Windows Update database is damaged for any reason, download the damaged update file. This may cause Windows Update to freeze when you download and install it, or it may fail due to another error.
Troubleshooting problems installing updates for Windows
Here you can apply some solutions to solve almost all problems with downloading and installing Windows 10 Update.
- First and foremost, ensure a stable internet connection.
- Make sure that the time and date settings on your PC/laptop are correct.
- First make sure there is enough free space on the system’s hard drive to download and install the Windows Update files.
- Temporarily disabling third-party anti-virus or firewall programs on your computer.
- Also restart Windows 10 and check for updates. This will solve the problem if it is caused by a third party service or a launcher.
If the above solutions have not solved the problem, Windows Update is still stuck in the installation or cannot be installed. Run the Build diagnostic tool in Windows Update, which checks and troubleshoots problems that prevent Windows updates from being installed correctly.
To start troubleshooting problems with Windows Update :
- Press Windows + I to access the Windows settings.
- Press Update and Security, then press Troubleshoot.
- You can also enter the troubleshooting settings when you navigate to the Start menu to open the same screen.
- Select Windows Update on the right and click Run Troubleshooting.
- The troubleshooter checks Windows 10 for problems that prevent the installation of updates, checks if the Windows Update database is corrupted, if the Windows Update service is running, etc., and repairs them if found.
- Once the troubleshooter has completed this process, restart Windows and verify that the Windows updates have been downloaded and installed error-free.
Resetting the window Update Components
As mentioned earlier, damaged Windows Update components are the most common cause of most Windows 10 Update installation failures. If running the Windows Update diagnostic tool does not solve the problem. Remove the installation files of the previous update from the distribution folder of the software. This involves downloading new Windows update files from the Microsoft server and fixing the problem.
To do this (changing files or folders), you must first stop the services related to updating, for example, Windows components. B. the Windows update service, BITS, etc. Otherwise, the files or folders in the programs will open and cannot be changed.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and press ok to open Windows Services.
- Scroll down and find the service called Windows Update, right click on it and select Stop.
- Do the same with other services, BITS and minimize the Windows services screen.
- Open the file explorer with the Windows + I keyboard combination.
- Navigate to C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownloads.
- Now press Ctrl + A to select all files and folders in the Downloads folder.
- Then press the Del key to delete it.
When prompted for the administrator’s password or confirmation, enter the password or provide a confirmation.
- Then start the services you previously disabled.
- To do it again, open the Window Service,
- Right-click on the service name (BIT, sysmain, windows update) and select start.
- After restarting Windows and the next time you log in, check for updates.
- Hopefully it will work for you this time and there will be no more Windows 10 update errors.
Runtime System File Verification Utility
Sometimes missing damaged system files also lead to various problems, including downloading and installing Windows update processes. Next, run the Embedded System File Check Utility, which checks for missing system files and restores them correctly.
Follow these steps to check the Windows 10 system file.
- Entering cmd when searching the Start menu
- Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- In this command line window, type sfc /scannow and enter the key.
- It starts searching for corrupt system files,
- If an sfc program is found, restore it from the compressed directory in %WinDir%System32dllcache using the appropriate program.
- When the scan is 100% complete, restart the windows to make the changes take effect.
The next time you start up, reopen Windows Updates via Settings -> Update and Security -> Renew Windows -> Check for Updates Check for other Windows 10 Update errors this time.
Manual installation of Windows updates (stand-alone package)
If all of the above solutions have not solved the problem, the Windows update freezes when checking for updates or the installation fails with several errors. Try installing the Windows standalone service package manually. To that end.
Visit the Windows 10 Update History website where you can view the logs of all Windows updates released so far.
Write down the KB number of the last published update.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog website to find the update indicated by the KB number you have written down. Download the update depending on whether 32bit = x86 or 64bit = x64.
As of today.
- KB4592438 (OS Build 19041.685 and Build 19042.685) is the latest patch for Windows October 10, 2020 and May 2020 updates,
- KB4592449 (OS Build 18362.1256 and Build 18363.1256) is the latest update for Windows May 10, 2019, as well as the November 2019 update.
- KB4592440 (OS Build 17763.1637) is the latest patch for Windows October 10, 2018 Update.
In addition, a link to a direct offline download of these updates is available here.
Open the downloaded file to install the update.
After installing the updates you can simply restart your computer to apply the changes. Even if you are stuck in the Windows update process, use the official media creation tool to update Windows 10 version 20H2 without errors or problems.
See also :
kb4530684 error 0x80070308,windows 10 update stuck at 74,sc config trustedinstaller start=auto,kb4532693 error 0x80070002,kb4556799 0x800f0922,0x800f0922 windows 10 cumulative update,windows 10 v1803 iso download,kb4571756 download,kb4579311 download,kb4541335 will not install,error 0x800f0989,kb4540673 problems,kb4549951 won t install,kb4462937 failed to install,kb4556799 problems,kb4565489 issues,kb4565552,kb4565631,windows update error 0x800f0986,install error 0x8007371c,microsoft media creation tool 1809,kb4532693 won’t install,error code 0x80073701 windows 10,kb4515384 won t install,error 0x800f080a,how do i fix the windows 10 cumulative update,windows 7 update stuck downloading,windows update stuck downloading 100,windows 10 update download stuck,windows 10 updates won’t download,wsus synchronization stuck at 0,windows 10 update stuck at 91 percent,kb4571756 manual download,kb4571756 uninstall,kb4571756 0x800f081f,0x80073701,kb4577266,0x800f0922,windows update troubleshooter,cumulative update for windows 10 version 1909 failed to install,microsoft update catalog,kb4556799 not installing,feature update to windows 10 version 1909 error 0x800f0831,windows 10 update stuck,windows 10 update assistant,windows 10 1909 download